Most homes across the UK will have carpet in at least one room of their property. Perfect in the winter months for warming our feet, as well as providing sound proofing against modern technologies – ideal for flats and house shares.
Carpet also plays an integral part in energy efficiency, as it provides the best barrier for heat loss of all flooring options.
Here at 1st For Floors, we know that while your carpet may be low on your list of priorities when it comes to updating your home, there are many beneficial reasons to do so:
- A person sheds about 1.5 million skin flakes an hour, most of which becomes embedded in our carpets.
- According to a scientific survey published in 2003 by Nicholas Bakalar, the stomach flu virus commonly known as ‘Norovirus’ can survive on a dirty carpet for longer than amonth.
- Every year, we bring in large amounts of soil on our feet which become trapped in and under carpet.
- It is believed that, when regularly cleaned and maintained, carpets may improve the quality of air in a room by trapping allergens and dust. However, many people do not cleantheir carpets correctly and this exacerbates allergies.
But it’s not all doom and gloom.
We have comprised a list of helpful hints and tips to keep your carpet looking and feeling fresher for longer:
- A little known trick to revitalise a tired looking carpet is to sprinkle salt over it, leave to sit for an hour then vacuum as usual.
- Vacuum frequently and thoroughly. Most of the wear of carpeting is caused by dirt. Oily soils attract more oily soil and frequent vacuuming will reduce soil buildup.
- Address stains quickly! 99% of all stains can be removed if they are cleaned in the first few days. The longer a stain chemically reacts with the carpet the harder it will be to remove it.
However, if your carpet is beyond saving, or you want to update a tired looking room, don’t ‘sweep it under the carpet‘ – get in touch with 1st for Floors now on 07557 780 045.